One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A fielding position on the leg side, level with the middle of the pitch.
- ‘That didn't stop one old chap with his carrier bag from wandering in and plonking himself in a prime position at midwicket, before being ushered off-site by a bemused club official.’
- ‘When he stepped out next ball to lift, casually, between long-on and midwicket for a fourth six, finally we sensed that something might be up.’
- ‘His second-most prolific region was between mid-on and midwicket, through which he got three fours, including the one which got him his hundred.’
- ‘Ponting cracked 25 runs square on the leg side, and another 26 in the arc between midwicket and long on.’
- ‘The arc between midwicket and long-on received maximum attention as bowlers were left gasping, fielders hopeless and spectators expectant.’
- 1.1 A fielder at midwicket.
- ‘It took a bit of time to figure out if you were the midwicket, fine leg, long off or deep gully.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.