One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A layer of material between the inner and outer soles of a shoe, for absorbing shock.
- ‘If shoes are wet, dry them with indirect heat rather than under radiators, which may negatively impact the midsole or shrink other materials on the shoe.’
- ‘Completely redesigned, they feature perforated leather on top and a two-piece die-cut EVA multi-purpose midsole.’
- ‘If you like to feel the road beneath you (some runners and walkers swear it makes them faster), choose a shoe with slightly thinner midsoles and less voluminous cushioning inserts under the heel and forefoot.’
- ‘A stiff plastic plate runs from the forefoot to the midsole - then flares up into ‘wings’ near the heel.’
- ‘Shoes with a softer outer midsole and a harder inner midsole are best for people who tend to pronate more.’
- ‘Athletic shoes are basically composed of four parts: the upper, outsole, midsole and insole.’
- ‘Designers shaved weight by cementing a seamless mesh upper to the midsole.’
- ‘Consider using silica gel or air midsoles in your shoes plus polyester or polyester-blend socks to prevent blisters and keep your feet dry.’
- ‘In the midsole, the women's version features a special hard-plastic insert that wraps up from under the arch and back toward the heel to hold your foot steady over uneven terrain.’
- ‘Combined with the midsole, which is made from lightweight polyurethane, the outsole is highly flexible, with a sticky gum rubber bottom for excellent traction and board control.’
- ‘A fine-tuned plate in the midsole offers stability without compromising agility.’
- ‘The heat can delaminate the shoe and shrink the midsole.’
- ‘Slip-lasted climbing shoes have thinner midsoles and insoles, which allows them to be sensitive and flexible.’
- ‘Comfortable and durable, these smart sneakers are made from subtle leather and feature fine stitching, with matching rubber toecap and midsole.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.