One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A layer of material between the inner and outer soles of a shoe, for absorbing shock.
- ‘Completely redesigned, they feature perforated leather on top and a two-piece die-cut EVA multi-purpose midsole.’
- ‘The heat can delaminate the shoe and shrink the midsole.’
- ‘A stiff plastic plate runs from the forefoot to the midsole - then flares up into ‘wings’ near the heel.’
- ‘Consider using silica gel or air midsoles in your shoes plus polyester or polyester-blend socks to prevent blisters and keep your feet dry.’
- ‘If shoes are wet, dry them with indirect heat rather than under radiators, which may negatively impact the midsole or shrink other materials on the shoe.’
- ‘Comfortable and durable, these smart sneakers are made from subtle leather and feature fine stitching, with matching rubber toecap and midsole.’
- ‘If you like to feel the road beneath you (some runners and walkers swear it makes them faster), choose a shoe with slightly thinner midsoles and less voluminous cushioning inserts under the heel and forefoot.’
- ‘A fine-tuned plate in the midsole offers stability without compromising agility.’
- ‘Combined with the midsole, which is made from lightweight polyurethane, the outsole is highly flexible, with a sticky gum rubber bottom for excellent traction and board control.’
- ‘Shoes with a softer outer midsole and a harder inner midsole are best for people who tend to pronate more.’
- ‘Athletic shoes are basically composed of four parts: the upper, outsole, midsole and insole.’
- ‘Slip-lasted climbing shoes have thinner midsoles and insoles, which allows them to be sensitive and flexible.’
- ‘In the midsole, the women's version features a special hard-plastic insert that wraps up from under the arch and back toward the heel to hold your foot steady over uneven terrain.’
- ‘Designers shaved weight by cementing a seamless mesh upper to the midsole.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.