One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sun when seen at midnight during the summer in either the Arctic or Antarctic Circle.
- ‘Suddenly, in the soft, slanting light of the midnight sun, they saw ice-polished slopes of granite come alive with images of animals and humans.’
- ‘Mad sled dogs and Englishmen go out in the midnight sun.’
- ‘The glow over Stockholm these days isn't just the midnight sun hanging above the arctic circle.’
- ‘The last night, under the midnight sun, I pitched my tent thirty feet from the Arctic Ocean.’
- ‘All of this is illuminated by the sublime radiance of the midnight sun.’
- ‘Who could resist the opportunity to immerse oneself in gently bubbling, half-filled lava caves to absorb the naturally occurring minerals or simply to relax in a deep blue steaming pool under a midnight sun?’
- ‘One-seventh of Sweden lies within the Arctic Circle, the ‘land of the midnight sun,’ where the sun never really sets for three months during the summer.’
- ‘Other destinations, such as Norway, are notoriously costly but do offer a different type of diving experience for those who are keen to dive under the midnight sun.’
- ‘I had first heard of ice golf two summers earlier, while traveling under the midnight sun in northern Scandinavia.’
- ‘In mid-winter it is plunged into darkness round the clock, and in summer it is lit up with the midnight sun.’
- ‘Join in a game of softball or round of golf at midnight under only the light of the midnight sun.’
- ‘Afterward, guests can check e-mail or catch up on the news, thanks to a stealthy satellite connection, or head into the midnight sun to hit a few golf balls on the lodge's driving range.’
- ‘Norm has planned a day trip to the Arctic Circle for a photo opportunity under the midnight sun.’
- ‘This is the land of the midnight sun, and I join a three-hour tour that begins at 9 p.m.’
- ‘It was a happy angler who arrived back at the bridge for a lift back to Umea and the Midsummer Festival party, where everyone joined in the singing of Ten Green Bottles under the midnight sun.’
- ‘But at the end of the day, as the midnight sun beams its way through my tent, my mind drifts to simpler thoughts.’
- ‘The eight-night cruise begins in June - perfect for the midnight sun - and you've a strong chance of seeing minkes, orcas and sperm whales.’
- ‘As autumn loomed and the midnight sun became a memory, we were still trying to organize cash flow and ice floes so that we could shoot our first clay at the beginning of September.’
- ‘It's more famous as the summer land of the midnight sun, but in winter, Lapland is the land of the midday dark.’
- ‘In the brief summer it becomes the land of the midnight sun.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.