One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loss of self-confidence and feeling of anxiety or disappointment that can occur in early middle age.
- ‘Day-to-day stress doesn't add up to a midlife crisis, however.’
- ‘Everybody else thought I was having an early midlife crisis and I should just go to another division or investment bank.’
- ‘My father-in-law seems to be having a midlife crisis.’
- ‘Since both are in their early forties, they are quickly approaching a midlife crisis.’
- ‘My take is that along with the collective midlife crisis the nation is going through, I, like others, am setting priorities and doing a bit more of what I want to do as much as what I need to do.’
- ‘It's not a nouveau muscle car for the 50-year-old divorced guy in a midlife crisis but more a stylish cruiser for aging boomers who yearn to head to the country for a Sunday drive.’
- ‘The literature reveals very little scientific evidence for the existence of a male midlife crisis, or ‘male menopause.’’
- ‘Then in their late 30's, when they are approaching the next age with a big zero in it, they would prepare, as any wise person would, for their midlife crisis.’
- ‘Ultimately, it's his marriage that forces him to serve out the term of his midlife crisis in Tokyo, paying for the loss of his dignity at a humiliatingly high asking price.’
- ‘The character of Bob Harris, an actor in the middle of a midlife crisis, is made for him.’
- ‘So instead of the sports car as the antidote to a midlife crisis, positive psychology recommends that you savor time with your kids or find a way to give to others, whether they are needy strangers or your own kin.’
- ‘Some folks (like me) may not want to read another self-absorbed memoir written by a middle-aged Caucasian going through a midlife crisis.’
- ‘Khalili's unique vision emerged out of a midlife crisis.’
- ‘Lucas interpreted the vast donation as either an early midlife crisis or a desire to begin afresh.’
- ‘By the last decade of the sixteenth century, the fifty-year-old astronomer was facing a midlife crisis, afraid that immortality was slipping from his grasp.’
- ‘On the night of his tenth birthday (which is like a midlife crisis in zebra years) he escapes the zoo, headed for Grand Central Station to catch a train.’
- ‘Did anybody accuse you of having a midlife crisis?’
- ‘I was just really drawn to a story about this guy having a midlife crisis in Japan, where it's already so confusing.’
- ‘The book defines another intriguing development: the early midlife crisis.’
- ‘Only in this case, the midlife crisis lasted the entire lifetime, not just in the middle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.