One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The period from midnight to 4 a.m. on board a ship.
- ‘The ratings, sentries on night watch at a naval barracks, say that the ghost follows them around during the middle watch and they have protested against doing solitary duty on that watch.’
- ‘The change to the middle watch was done quickly and quietly and settled into the monotony of the nightwatch.’
- ‘About a quarter way through the middle watch the man appeared by Styles' hammock.’
- ‘And during one middle watch a guard on patrol in the old barracks had called down to the main gate for assistance.’
- ‘On March 2, 1874, they almost ran into a large berg during the middle watch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.