Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The period from midnight to 4 a.m. on board a ship.
- ‘And during one middle watch a guard on patrol in the old barracks had called down to the main gate for assistance.’
- ‘The ratings, sentries on night watch at a naval barracks, say that the ghost follows them around during the middle watch and they have protested against doing solitary duty on that watch.’
- ‘The change to the middle watch was done quickly and quietly and settled into the monotony of the nightwatch.’
- ‘About a quarter way through the middle watch the man appeared by Styles' hammock.’
- ‘On March 2, 1874, they almost ran into a large berg during the middle watch.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.