One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in the UK) a school for children from about 9 to 13 years old.
- ‘Wiltshire county council voted in May to back plans to scrap the middle schools and replace the first schools with primary schools taking pupils up to 11, when they will transfer to secondary school.’
- ‘The 234 schools that Ofsted has praised twice include 13 nursery schools, 80 primary schools, two middle schools, 123 secondary schools, 15 special schools and one pupil referral unit.’
- ‘Of the 257 schools in the county all 29 secondary, five middle schools, five special schools and 113 primary schools have either been connected to broadband or are in the process of being wired up.’
- ‘The figure would have been staggering if the auditing had been expanded to cover middle schools and primary schools.’
- ‘Even the earlier decision of upgrading 5 primary schools to middle schools has not been executed.’
2(in the US and Canada) a junior high school.
- ‘A new dimension of this new peace movement is its extension to rural Southern schools, historically black colleges, community colleges, urban public universities, and high schools and middle schools.’
- ‘The educational system in the city was comprised of fifteen elementary schools, four middle schools, and one high school.’
- ‘In 6th grade the elementary schools merged into middle schools.’
- ‘They will teach Chinese in Thai universities, middle schools and primary schools.’
- ‘This year, students at about 2,000 universities, colleges, high schools, and middle schools in the United States will observe a National Day of Silence on April 21.’
- ‘Most of these kids live in neighbourhoods with elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools.’
- ‘These students were enrolled in three elementary schools and a middle school.’
- ‘The three schools selected, one elementary and two middle schools, mirror the challenges found in many large urban school districts.’
- ‘Unique predictors of relational violence included attending more than two elementary schools and attending middle schools with a higher prevalence of drug use among students.’
- ‘When all was done, the committee of five was given the funds raised to buy books, and lots of books were added to the elementary and middle schools and the high school.’
- ‘None of this is to say that we shouldn't improve science and technology education, particularly in high schools, middle schools and elementary schools.’
- ‘Such orientation courses should be offered much earlier on, in primary schools and middle schools, when students are still shaping their views of the world.’
- ‘By the 2002-03 school year, almost all elementary and middle schools and their districts were on the Galaxy system.’
- ‘This issue's column features ideas for students in elementary and middle schools on the theme of character education.’
- ‘Houston is the 7th-largest school district in the United States, encompassing 186 elementary schools and 34 middle schools.’
- ‘Over 99 per cent of kindergartens, primary schools and middle schools opened parent schools, and most newlyweds received health education.’
- ‘The district comprises three high schools, three middle schools, 20 elementary schools and three early childhood centers.’
- ‘The mayor should build more competitive high schools, as well as middle schools and elementary schools.’
- ‘For middle schools and primary schools, the figure is around 7,000 to 10,000 yuan a year.’
- ‘Thirty-two of the teacher participants were elementary school teachers, four taught in middle schools, and one was a high school teacher.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.