Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The sea journey undertaken by slave ships from West Africa to the West Indies.
- ‘Girl, your ancestors survived the fateful trip to the coast, the middle passage, survived slavery, colonialism and everything else that came with it.’
- ‘Through Mehuru's eyes, we see not only the horrific conditions of the middle passage, but also first impressions of white femininity.’
- ‘The journey from Haiti in the 1980s is like a new middle passage.’
- ‘Chapter two covers the process of enslavement in Africa, the middle passage and ship-board rebellions, and briefly touches on the sale of slaves in the New World.’
- ‘The cruelest step was the middle passage on slave ships across the Atlantic Ocean.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.