One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short section (typically of eight bars) in the middle of a conventionally structured popular song, generally of a different character from the other parts of the song.
- ‘When it ends he leans across to the score and points to the middle eight.’
- ‘It's probably the most ‘accessible’ song on the album for newcomers, blending a jaunty semi-C&W melody and twangy guitars with a darker, more intense middle eight.’
- ‘What's with that spoken verse blathering along to the lead after the middle eight in ‘Tear in Your Hand’?’
- ‘It's highly formulaic with each piece consisting of verse/chorus/verse with a peripheral middle eight tossed in as an afterthought.’
- ‘Structurally, many employ a standard verse and refrain alternation, punctuated by a middle eight, where the song becomes fleetingly more interesting.’
- ‘So I don't have to go through every middle eight.’
- ‘He may love to build tracks up, but in an age of cheap anthems he's happily sparing with middle eights and singalong choruses - as he has to be in order to lure the listener in as well as he does.’
- ‘Jon-Lee hammers his head to the quicktime beats of guitar wedged middle eights.’
- ‘But barely a freeflowing middle eight's allowed to digress from the tidy, right-on package of political broadsiding that's being delivered.’
- ‘Not all jazz music is made by balding musicians who sit around over copious whiskies discussing the wonders of a middle eight.’
- ‘We'd turn up at a rehearsal and find he'd deleted verses 3 and 4 of a certain song, or inserted new verses, changed the words here and there, completely altered the middle eight of a song, or had added a whole new intro.’
- ‘The track reached its magnificent apotheosis with the middle eight's forthright conclusion: a man ain't a man with a ticket in his hand.’
- ‘Interesting - I didn't mention the middle eight because I thought that might be something you wouldn't like, that it might be too much of a hearkening back.’
- ‘The set is peppered with indifferent songs to be honest, but with nice middle eights.’
- ‘Singer and sole writer Mattias Friberg proves himself quite the composer by adding more middle eights than choruses, letting weighty verses deliver the punchlines and keeping his motives obscured.’
- ‘This is actually an exclusive, of sorts, in that the take of this song which we put up on our website and distributed was a different mix, which had double tracked vocals and a quieter middle eight.’
- ‘Piecing together gutsy rock, skittering middle eights and infectious, catchy straight rock, this track gives a glimpse of a very special future indeed.’
- ‘It sounds as deliberate as one of Kylie's middle eights and you can't help but be struck by how listenable it all is.’
- ‘Never mind middle age, what about a middle eight?’
- ‘You can sing each chorus before it arrives, and hear each middle eight before you can reach for the fast forward button.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.