One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The period of European history from the fall of the Roman Empire in the West (5th century) to the fall of Constantinople (1453), or, more narrowly, from c.1000 to 1453.
- ‘Whenever a king in the Middle Ages was toppled, an impostor would pop up somewhere claiming to be him.’
- ‘During the Middle Ages in the west, the Roman legal system was in power in the Eastern Roman Empire.’
- ‘The European climate in the Middle Ages was two degrees hotter than it is now.’
- ‘For me, the ancient Greeks and Romans, the high Middle Ages and even the Tudors passed in a blur of boredom.’
- ‘The most ambitious crusading expedition of the later Middle Ages had ended in humiliating failure.’
- ‘At one time it was thought that the immense majority of European peasants of the Middle Ages were legally unfree.’
- ‘This genre flaunts a cosmology that would have been entirely understood by anyone from the late Middle Ages.’
- ‘As a result it has had no influence on other European authors of the Middle Ages.’
- ‘During the Middle Ages, missionary enterprise was to some extent replaced by crusades.’
- ‘If one thing symbolized political and military power in the Middle Ages it was the castle.’
- ‘Alfred is still considered quintessential as a ruler of the Middle Ages.’
- ‘In the Middle Ages, wildly anachronistic tales of his exploits in Rome were in circulation.’
- ‘It was founded high on a series of hills by prosperous Saxon merchants in the Middle Ages.’
- ‘Medical knowledge in the Middle Ages must have appeared to have stood still.’
- ‘By the close of the Middle Ages, there were likely public warehouses here.’
- ‘Numerous imperial and royal palaces survived into the early Middle Ages and were restored or rebuilt.’
- ‘In Roman times Britain had as many people as at its peak in the Middle Ages.’
- ‘In this short series he set out to rescue the Middle Ages from the clichés of knights, damsels and monks.’
- ‘The size of the cemetery itself also reflects the commercial exploitation of death in the Middle Ages.’
- ‘From the late Middle Ages onwards, one plot in particular dominated these tales in Europe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.