One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The period after early adulthood and before old age, about 45 to 65.
- ‘High blood pressure that occurs even as early as middle age can lead to dementia in later years.’
- ‘By all outward appearances, Tanner conforms to the image of a former tennis star in the second set of middle age.’
- ‘Both in middle age and old age the death rates were significantly higher in smokers than in non-smokers.’
- ‘I looked up and there was a woman in her late middle age leaning out of the second floor window of the house.’
- ‘In the 1950s many men took up smoking in adulthood or even middle age.’
- ‘An extremely large lady of early middle age, she occupied two seats.’
- ‘This error dilutes male risk of coronary heart disease, which is substantial even in early middle age.’
- ‘According to his research, people feel that middle age begins at 49 and old age sets in at 65.’
- ‘The other burning issue of the week appears to be the emergence of second childhood in your middle age.’
- ‘She is in early middle age and walks as if she has books on her head.’
- ‘His professional longevity is especially remarkable in an area where so many people are on the scrapheap in early middle age.’
- ‘As a child, Borges was acutely myopic and he went blind in early middle age.’
- ‘By this time a woman in early middle age, she has created a new life for herself, far from the scenes of her miserable upbringing.’
- ‘I'm in the thirteenth year so the things done early are coming up to at least middle age.’
- ‘In middle age I trained as a teacher and lived and worked abroad.’
- ‘By creating a pattern of youth, middle age and dotage, people were expected to conform to it.’
- ‘The circumambulation also signifies the four stages of life, namely childhood, youth, middle age and old age.’
- ‘Now he has emerged into early middle age and discovered that his life may have been adversely affected by early exposure to feminism.’
- ‘Don't we learn this as we pass from youth to young middle age?’
- ‘In middle age he took a great interest in early music, more from the point of view of the arranger than of the scholar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.