One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The period after early adulthood and before old age, about 45 to 65.
- ‘By this time a woman in early middle age, she has created a new life for herself, far from the scenes of her miserable upbringing.’
- ‘In the 1950s many men took up smoking in adulthood or even middle age.’
- ‘In middle age he took a great interest in early music, more from the point of view of the arranger than of the scholar.’
- ‘An extremely large lady of early middle age, she occupied two seats.’
- ‘His professional longevity is especially remarkable in an area where so many people are on the scrapheap in early middle age.’
- ‘This error dilutes male risk of coronary heart disease, which is substantial even in early middle age.’
- ‘According to his research, people feel that middle age begins at 49 and old age sets in at 65.’
- ‘I'm in the thirteenth year so the things done early are coming up to at least middle age.’
- ‘As a child, Borges was acutely myopic and he went blind in early middle age.’
- ‘The other burning issue of the week appears to be the emergence of second childhood in your middle age.’
- ‘She is in early middle age and walks as if she has books on her head.’
- ‘In middle age I trained as a teacher and lived and worked abroad.’
- ‘High blood pressure that occurs even as early as middle age can lead to dementia in later years.’
- ‘I looked up and there was a woman in her late middle age leaning out of the second floor window of the house.’
- ‘Now he has emerged into early middle age and discovered that his life may have been adversely affected by early exposure to feminism.’
- ‘The circumambulation also signifies the four stages of life, namely childhood, youth, middle age and old age.’
- ‘Both in middle age and old age the death rates were significantly higher in smokers than in non-smokers.’
- ‘By all outward appearances, Tanner conforms to the image of a former tennis star in the second set of middle age.’
- ‘By creating a pattern of youth, middle age and dotage, people were expected to conform to it.’
- ‘Don't we learn this as we pass from youth to young middle age?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.