One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ridge between the wheel ruts of an unsurfaced road.‘the car has a high clearance so is easy to drive on roads with high middelmannetjies’
- ‘The middelmannetjie is high enough in some places that we had to choose alternate paths.’
- ‘The front wheel seemed to be stuck on the middelmannetjie with the back wheel changing lanes over it.’
- ‘The roads have high middelmannetjies, which tough 4x4s with high ground clearance can handle.’
- ‘Right at the end, a severe axle twister with a high middelmannetjie can only be conquered by vehicles with high ground clearance.’
- ‘As the grass in the middelmannetjie was almost shoulder high, we stopped every few kilometres to check the vehicles as a precaution against fire.’
Afrikaans, literally ‘little man in the middle’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.