One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural middelmannetjiesSouth African
A ridge between the wheel ruts of an unsurfaced road.‘the car has a high clearance so is easy to drive on roads with high middelmannetjies’
- ‘The middelmannetjie is high enough in some places that we had to choose alternate paths.’
- ‘Right at the end, a severe axle twister with a high middelmannetjie can only be conquered by vehicles with high ground clearance.’
- ‘The roads have high middelmannetjies, which tough 4x4s with high ground clearance can handle.’
- ‘As the grass in the middelmannetjie was almost shoulder high, we stopped every few kilometres to check the vehicles as a precaution against fire.’
- ‘The front wheel seemed to be stuck on the middelmannetjie with the back wheel changing lanes over it.’
Afrikaans, literally ‘little man in the middle’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.