Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small central part of the brainstem, developing from the middle of the primitive or embryonic brain.Also called mesencephalon
- ‘The brainstem consists of the midbrain, pons and medulla, structures located deep in the back of the brain.’
- ‘The midbrain, brainstem, and cerebellum appeared grossly normal.’
- ‘The pons is a specialized band of nerve fibers that links the midbrain with the medulla oblongata and acts as a high-functioning switchboard.’
- ‘In each case, these sections included frontal cortex, basal ganglia, thalamus, hippocampus, midbrain, pons, medulla, and cerebellar hemisphere at the level of the dentate nucleus.’
- ‘The latter includes the diencephalon; mesencephalon, or midbrain; pons; and medulla oblongata.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.