Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Played or sung at a moderate tempo.‘a mid-tempo ballad’
- ‘Praise must go to the four-man rhythm section who power the album's mostly mid tempo grooves.’
- ‘The midtempo drum hits are ridged as drop forge steel, never deviating even slightly for the beat, never pausing for a fill, never laying out.’
- ‘Emmylou Harris is the queen of the midtempo lament.’
- ‘But where that album moved with confidence and conviction of purpose, Control wallows in an amoral netherworld of overamped midtempo ballads and incomplete thoughts.’
- ‘The Horrorist tag comes from his penchant for adding - get this - actual spoken storylines to his midtempo, post-hardcore electro creepers.’
- ‘All of these songs stay within the slow to mid tempo range; nothing ever really changing.’
- ‘Low returns to the mid tempo rock of the title track and yet still manages to fit a percussion break into the most U2 sounding like track on the record.’
- ‘The pianist augments many of these mid tempo pieces with lilting harmonics, a deft right hand, and well-placed chord clusters.’
- ‘This album dishes up a balanced diet of mid tempo cruising in-your-car joints, alongside those dangerously suave, seductive ballads.’
- ‘While there are no real dead spots, a midtempo malaise falls over the otherwise strong batch of songs.’
- ‘He has slowed it down a lot, but still moves at a good midtempo clip.’
- ‘At its worst it lapses into bland mid tempo pop that a band as gifted as this really shouldn't be churning out.’
- ‘Instead we get a series of very similar midtempo chuggers, songs leaking into each other and sounding like dim echoes of Interpol's past.’
- ‘Chocolate Girl's main mix will get you shaking and the mid tempo rhythm is quite enjoyable.’
- ‘The pair recorded much of Back to Bedlam, a collection of wistful ballads and midtempo pop-rockers, at Perry's Los Angeles studio.’
- ‘"All That I've Got" is jangly, pounding midtempo rock number with a sweet string arrangement.’
- ‘The father composes most of the material; pleasant, cool midtempo post bop that sound like it comes from the late fifties.’
- ‘The four songs here don't display a terrible amount of range, all falling squarely in the midtempo range and consisting of the same instrumentation.’
- ‘Around the Sun is no more rocking than the last two, and perhaps less, tending to midtempo ballads and anthems with a few laid-back grooves along the way.’
- ‘The album is stuffed with queasy midtempo tracks and bizarre orchestration, but it's by no means impenetrable.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.