Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long, seismically active submarine ridge system situated in the middle of an ocean basin and marking the site of the upwelling of magma associated with sea-floor spreading. An example is the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
- ‘Unlike volcanic activity at mid-ocean ridges, island arc volcanoes can remain fixed over their magma sources for thousands of years, allowing them to sometimes grow above water level and become islands.’
- ‘Although Leg 2 was dogged with technical problems, it proved beyond doubt that the deepest sediments do indeed become younger as you approach the spreading centers at the mid-ocean ridges.’
- ‘The mid-ocean ridge is two chains of mountains separated by a large depression that form at a spreading center (or where two plates are drifting apart).’
- ‘This is simply because new ocean floor, as we have seen, continuously forms at the mid-ocean ridges and then spreads away on either side, aging and collecting a progressively thicker sediment blanket as it does so.’
- ‘The active volcanic vents along the spreading mid-ocean ridges create ideal environments for the circulation of fluids rich in minerals and for ore deposition.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.