Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Urinate:‘she became unable to go out for more than about ten minutes without having to micturate’
- ‘What's more, I knew for a fact he was not shy about micturating in public - a product, no doubt, of his European upbringing.’
- ‘I mean, obviously, Flak is a magazine that publishes a lot of criticism, and I didn't come here to micturate upon their rug.’
- ‘On the first day after operation he fully recovered from the general anaesthetic and could micturate voluntarily.’
- ‘But she could hardly fail to see the point when McDonald expressed his discomfort at passing miscreants micturating in his minimalist letter box.’
- ‘Consequently, unnecessary things like pausing to eat or micturate are out.’
- ‘Is it normal for my cat to micturate on the carpet every time?’
- ‘Labour are therefore micturating into a demographic Force 10, not to mention sowing dragon's teeth.’
- ‘As a Frenchman he enjoyed micturating on the Yanks.’
- ‘Then one day you put the Diet Coke back in the fridge because the Target men's room is on the other side of the cash registers, and you can't get a cart in there and certainly can't hold the tot while you micturate.’
- ‘Several hours later he was admitted to the hospital unable to micturate.’
- ‘When it was done I thought of the WW2 urinal decals that allowed one to micturate, forcefully, into the visage of an Axis leader.’
- ‘Not even Naftali can determine what patterns might constitute ‘suspicious’ behavior and yet he's gung-ho to micturate on the Fourth Amendment entirely on speculation.’
Mid 19th century: back-formation from micturition, from Latin micturit- urinated, from the verb micturire.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.