Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of a large number of minute projections from the surface of some cells.
- ‘In contrast to the model of a rigid microvillus, recent micropipette measurements indicate that neutrophil microvilli might be elastic enough to extend in response to forces that neutrophils might encounter in vivo.’
- ‘These cells are sparse but are easily distinguished from other epithelial cells by the presence of a tuft of blunt, squat microvilli on the cell surface.’
- ‘The luminal surface of the epithelial cells contained few irregular cytoplasmic projections, but cilia or microvilli were absent.’
- ‘The diagnosis was confirmed by the ultrastructural demonstration of large desmosomes and long microvilli at the cell surface.’
- ‘The ratio of the surface area of a microvillus to the area of the unit cell can be determined numerically.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.