Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Technology that uses microelectronics.
- ‘Gravity independence and reduced size and weight make microtechnology an ideal candidate for many NASA applications.’
- ‘Their lifestyle strictly forbids the use of microtechnology and other such witchcraft.’
- ‘One of the largest trade shows in the world, Hannover Fair in Germany continues to make room for microtechnology.’
- ‘But they apparently confuse nanotechnology with microtechnology, and they make confusing and contradictory assumptions about how the technologies needed to enable fourth-generation nukes will evolve.’
- ‘New microtechnology has added to the investigative methods available for small bowel visualization.’
- ‘Nanotechnology and super microtechnology are giving us the diagnostic capacity to see tumors when they're only a few cells in size, raising the prospect that all cancers will be curable.’
- ‘He disclosed that worldwide patent protection had been taken out on the microtechnology that offers the potential to overcome a major bottleneck in the delivery of power to future microprocessors chips.’
- ‘With recent advances in microtechnology, however, progress has been made in the development of implants, some of which can be placed in the eye.’
- ‘In addition to their crucial importance in the biological and medical fields, phospholipidic biomembranes have received great interest recently for their applications in nano- and microtechnology.’
- ‘Adidas, the sportswear manufacturer, has come up with a running shoe that uses microtechnology to alter its cushioning depending on the terrain - providing wearers with a more comfortable experience.’
- ‘With two-thirds of the nation's large rocket test stands in a single place, one might guess ‘abnormally small’ is not the forte at Edwards; yet, the facility is a leader in nanotechnology and microtechnology.’
- ‘The media is investing hundreds of thousands of dollars into microtechnology because they see that as the big breakthrough in making the viewer of a sporting event more excited about what they're watching.’
- ‘Although automotive and electronics represent the largest markets for microtechnology, it also has had an appreciable impact on the design and development of medical equipment.’
- ‘Western Switzerland has been recognised for microtechnology, hardware and software, special machinery such as robots, life sciences, and biotechnology, among others.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.