Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A species differing only in minor characteristics from others of its group, typically one of limited geographical range forming part of an aggregate species.
- ‘If the wood has not been coppiced for some time, there will not be a stock of sun-adapted microspecies ready and waiting to colonise it.’
- ‘Yes, subspecies can be included, however the inclusion of varieties and microspecies is a decision for the national IPA team.’
- ‘Mutations of these hybrids may have given rise to further microspecies stabilized by apomixis.’
- ‘Moreover, some controversy exists about the use of microscopic or macroscopic constants to calculate the relative concentration of each microspecies.’
- ‘To calculate the concentrations of all microspecies at any pH we need to solve the following system of equations.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.