One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One millionth of a litre. (Symbol: μl).
- ‘Six-hundred microlitres of initial labeling solution was then added to achieve an appropriate dilution.’
- ‘Routinely, over 50 l of phloem sap was collected, however, only a few microlitres were required for analysis.’
- ‘Two-hundred microliters of the stock solution of the lipid sample in chloroform was placed in a round bottom flask to which 300 L of methanol was added.’
- ‘Twenty microliters of each antibody was added to 100 L of blood, and the mixture was incubated at room temperature for 15 minutes.’
- ‘Three microliters of the reaction mixture was loaded onto 6.5% polyacrylamide denaturing gels without formamide, and the PCR products were separated by electrophoresis at 1600 V for 4 to 7 hours.’
- ‘Four microliters of the diluted mix were used as template for the preselective amplification reaction using primers with one selective nucleotide at the 3'-end.’
- ‘Thirty microliters of PCR products were electrophoresed on 6.5% polyacrylamide gel that contained a linearly increasing 10% to 60% denaturing gradient.’
- ‘The terrons complexes were prepared by passing a stream of CO above the protein solution submitted to gentle stirring, and by adding a few microliters of a concentrated, de-aerated dithionite solution.’
- ‘If the extract became yellow, several microlitres of 20% (w/v) NaOH were added until it just became blue.’
- ‘To get enough of the protein, the researchers will have to collect thousands of the bugs at a rate of 1 microliter (it would take 250,000 microliters to gather a cup) of hemolymph per insect.’
- ‘Two microliters of whole blood were suspended in 0.5% low melting point agarose and sandwiched between a layer of 0.6% normal melting point agarose and a top layer of 0.5% low melting point agarose on fully frosted slides.’
- ‘Capsaicin is available in a water-based aerosol with each squirt delivering 70 microlitres.’
- ‘Five microlitres of the remaining extract was analysed by thin layer chromatography according to Wollenweber.’
- ‘Two microliters of the resulting liquid was used as a sequencing template.’
- ‘I set up my experiment today, in a 96-well plate (here's one similar to what I was using, if you don't know the beasts), and spent a good chunk of the afternoon pipetting in a few microliters of this and a few microliters of that.’
- ‘Three microliters of sterile H 2 O were added to bring the total reaction volume up to 10 l, and the mixture was incubated overnight at 15°C. Transformation and plating were performed using standard procedures.’
- ‘If it's blood, for instance, it's boiled and we will receive a small amount of material, about 180 microlitres, a very small amount of material at the end, with the DNA, at the bottom of that tube.’
- ‘Thirty microlitres of PCR product was loaded on 1.5 per cent agarose gel (Sigma, USA) electrophoresed and stained with ethidium bromide.’
- ‘Fifteen microlitres microcarrier suspension was used for each bombardment.’
- ‘For the size ranges of interest for drug delivery, the internal volumes of liposomes in suspension are usually of the order of microliters per milligram of lipid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.