Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small modular part of an operating system kernel which implements its basic features.
- ‘A superior approach is to instead implement a microkernel, or lightweight operating system, designed for the specific purpose of serving data.’
- ‘According to long-running Mac user website MacInTouch, at least one CD distributed by the major label includes a Mac OS X application that purportedly installs a pair of extensions to the operating system's microkernel.’
- ‘Their argument was that, due to their intrinsic design, microkernels' basic functions could be transformed into modules and, thus, loaded and unloaded as needed.’
- ‘This is actually an architectural dispute: Tanenbaum believes in microkernels and Torvalds doesn't.’
- ‘Divorcing a filesystem from the kernel, he says, is the same as microkernels' attempt to split the guts of a system into discrete pieces.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.