One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small modular part of an operating system kernel which implements its basic features.
- ‘Divorcing a filesystem from the kernel, he says, is the same as microkernels' attempt to split the guts of a system into discrete pieces.’
- ‘According to long-running Mac user website MacInTouch, at least one CD distributed by the major label includes a Mac OS X application that purportedly installs a pair of extensions to the operating system's microkernel.’
- ‘This is actually an architectural dispute: Tanenbaum believes in microkernels and Torvalds doesn't.’
- ‘A superior approach is to instead implement a microkernel, or lightweight operating system, designed for the specific purpose of serving data.’
- ‘Their argument was that, due to their intrinsic design, microkernels' basic functions could be transformed into modules and, thus, loaded and unloaded as needed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.