Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small modular part of an operating system kernel which implements its basic features.
- ‘According to long-running Mac user website MacInTouch, at least one CD distributed by the major label includes a Mac OS X application that purportedly installs a pair of extensions to the operating system's microkernel.’
- ‘This is actually an architectural dispute: Tanenbaum believes in microkernels and Torvalds doesn't.’
- ‘Divorcing a filesystem from the kernel, he says, is the same as microkernels' attempt to split the guts of a system into discrete pieces.’
- ‘A superior approach is to instead implement a microkernel, or lightweight operating system, designed for the specific purpose of serving data.’
- ‘Their argument was that, due to their intrinsic design, microkernels' basic functions could be transformed into modules and, thus, loaded and unloaded as needed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.