One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small modular part of an operating system kernel which implements its basic features.
- ‘A superior approach is to instead implement a microkernel, or lightweight operating system, designed for the specific purpose of serving data.’
- ‘Their argument was that, due to their intrinsic design, microkernels' basic functions could be transformed into modules and, thus, loaded and unloaded as needed.’
- ‘According to long-running Mac user website MacInTouch, at least one CD distributed by the major label includes a Mac OS X application that purportedly installs a pair of extensions to the operating system's microkernel.’
- ‘Divorcing a filesystem from the kernel, he says, is the same as microkernels' attempt to split the guts of a system into discrete pieces.’
- ‘This is actually an architectural dispute: Tanenbaum believes in microkernels and Torvalds doesn't.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.