One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One millionth of a gram.
- ‘The concentrations of manganese in two samples of surface soil taken from area A were 748 and 629 micrograms per gram, dry weight.’
- ‘The trouble was that a mere microgram (millionth of a gram) can kill, if lodged in the lungs.’
- ‘We analyzed each sample in triplicate, and results were defined in micrograms per gram of dry lung tissue.’
- ‘Tests on pure Paterson's Curse honey have shown that it contains up to 2 micrograms of toxin per gram of honey.’
- ‘In the European parliament, however, 10 of the swabs were smeared with between 20 micrograms and 30 micrograms.’
- ‘In Nairobi's Central Business District the lead levels were 5,000 micrograms per kilogram.’
- ‘The results were expressed in terms of micrograms per gram of creatinine.’
- ‘The results are expressed in micrograms per milligram protein.’
- ‘Under the previously allowed four pound per acre rate of chlorpyrifos, the ADI was right at the one microgram per kilogram a day limit.’
- ‘Data are expressed as micrograms of hydroxyproline per milligram dry weight.’
- ‘The levels in three samples exceeded the safety limit for the ASP toxin of 20 micrograms per gram.’
- ‘The current federal blood level that defines lead poisoning is 10 micrograms of lead per deciliter.’
- ‘The groups received different doses of the vaccine, ranging from 4 micrograms to 500 micrograms per dose.’
- ‘One strain survived less than a day when exposed to a concentration of at least 2 micrograms per milliliter.’
- ‘The rats received either 60 or 300 micrograms per kilogram of body weight.’
- ‘To confuse matters even more, some products list the amounts of vitamins and minerals by milligrams or micrograms, while others use international units (a microgram equals 3.33 international units).’
- ‘The device can detect even tiny concentrations of less than one microgram (one millionth of a gram) per liter.’
- ‘Heroin addicts found dead from overdose, he will testify, are often found with only one or two hundred micrograms per liter in their blood.’
- ‘One child's level jumped from two micrograms per deciliter to 35 after eating the grasshoppers.’
- ‘What this means is that the maximum safe dose for ingested mercury is 0.1 microgram per kilogram of weight of the person ingesting the mercury per day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.