Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially in protozoans) the smaller of a pair of conjugating gametes, usually regarded as male.
- ‘The sexual phase of the Plasmodium life cycle is completed with the fertilization of a macrogamete by a flagellar microgamete, and the subsequent generation of sporozoites.’
- ‘Each of these processes becomes a male gamete termed a microgamete which is equivalent to a mammalian spermatozoon.’
- ‘The nucleus of the female parasite moves to the surface where a small protuberance is formed and into this, penetrates the microgamete forming a zygote.’
- ‘Soon after release, the originally motile female microgametes begin to settle on a surface and start to secrete a chemical signal.’
- ‘Fertilisation occurs when the microgamete fuses with the macrogamete to form first a zygote, then a motile ookinete.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.