Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Evolutionary change within a species or small group of organisms, especially over a short period.
- ‘The creation science folks accept microevolution but not macroevolution.’
- ‘They already acknowledge microevolution - mutation and natural selection within a species.’
- ‘Evolutionary biologists debate fiercely about how macroevolutionary change emerges from microevolution.’
- ‘Resting eggs of planktonic organisms from datable sediment cores are increasingly used to reconstruct historical information on the abundance, size, genetic composition, and microevolution of planktonic organisms.’
- ‘They also concede Darwin's theory of microevolution: that species may, over time, adapt to suit their environments.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.