Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An isolated fragment of continental crust forming part of a small crust plate.
- ‘Determining the significance of the long-term subduction-related tectonic processes as opposed to collisions by small microcontinents for the magmatic and tectonic evolution of SE Asia remains ambiguous.’
- ‘Subduction must therefore have taken place beneath a microcontinent or an island-arc that later collided with Baltica to produce the early Caledonian Finnmarkian orogeny.’
- ‘The Menderes Massif is part of the Menderes-Tauride Block, a post-Permian microcontinent, which is allochthonous with respect to both Eurasia and Gondwana.’
- ‘Notably, the Urals developed by accretion of island arcs and microcontinents.’
- ‘The collision of North America with the Avalon microcontinent during the Devonian Period caused the Acadian orogeny.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.