One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Abnormal smallness of the head, a congenital condition associated with incomplete brain development.
- ‘However, three or more minor malformations, especially if associated with short stature or failure to thrive, microcephaly or developmental delay, should engender further investigation.’
- ‘She has a number of complex conditions including congenital microcephaly and cerebral palsy.’
- ‘Some anthropologists have suggested that the hobbits could be modern-human dwarfs with a condition called microcephaly, a condition of abnormal smallness of the head.’
- ‘If untreated, the disorder results in mental retardation, microcephaly, delayed speech, seizures, eczema and behavior abnormalities.’
- ‘Congenital brain anomalies like microcephaly, abnormal cortical mantle formation, agenesis of the corpus callosum have been reported.’
Mid 19th century: from micro- + Greek kephalē ‘head’ + -y.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.