Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A minute capsule used to contain drugs, dyes, or other substances and render them temporarily inactive.
- ‘Hypo-allergenic moisturizer is time-released via tiny microcapsules in the hosiery fiber, which consumers said was comfortable and made legs softer.’
- ‘Embedded in SmartWrap are microcapsules of phase change materials (PCMs).’
- ‘If these experiments prove successful, large-scale demand for these types of microcapsules may require future development of ground manufacturing equipment that counteracts the effects of gravity.’
- ‘A three-way ANOVA was used to evaluate the density of microcapsules on leaves with spray application, leaf surface (top or bottom surfaces), and canopy height (low and high) as the main effects.’
- ‘Bioadhesive polymers in the form of, or as a coating on, microcapsules containing drugs or bioactive substances which may serve for therapeutic, or diagnostic purposes in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, are described.’
- ‘The ‘ink’ is a microcapsule of TiO2 particles in a coloured fluid.’
- ‘Adjusting one or more application parameters to increase either the deposition and/or retention of microcapsules over time may be a useful approach to extend the efficacy of sprayables for codling moth.’
- ‘E-ink, which is now commercialised by a company of the same name (www.eink.com) is a liquid containing microcapsules.’
- ‘The density of fluorescent microcapsules on the ground was estimated by placing five plastic cards beneath the tree canopy prior to the spray application.’
- ‘The Phase-Shift has warm, lightweight insulation that is impregnated with Outlast, microcapsules that seek thermal equilibrium.’
- ‘The 40p stamp celebrating the medicine prize is a ‘scratch-and-sniff’ design printed with ink containing microcapsules of scent.’
- ‘The addition of adjuvants could perhaps improve the deposition of microcapsules on leaves with either spray method.’
- ‘They have also used what they describe as a more sophisticated nozzle assembly to fabricate similarly sized microcapsules in which a drug core is surrounded by a biodegradable polymer shell.’
- ‘Liu et al. improved the computational algorithm, and applied the model to data on microcapsules.’
- ‘Also designed by BASF, the plaster contains microcapsules filled with wax particles that store latent heat - if it is very warm outside, the wax melts, thereby soaking up heat without raising the temperature of the room.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.