One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The microorganisms of a particular site, habitat, or geological period.
- ‘The importance of microbial spatial relationships for the functioning of the termite gut microbiota have recently been discussed in detail.’
- ‘During the developmental period from birth through weaning, the intestinal microbiota undergoes a rapid ecological succession.’
- ‘Different shades of dark gray are also shown by mummified plant and animal fragments and by dehydrated components of microbiota.’
- ‘Antibiotic use is the most common and significant cause of major alterations in normal GIT microbiota.’
- ‘These specialised organisms form an integral part of the adult colonic microbiota and may be involved in inflammatory bowel disease due to the effects of sulphide toxicity in the gut.’
- ‘The hindgut microbiota of termites includes an abundant and morphologically diverse population of spirochetes.’
- ‘Contrasting morphology, which is readily apparent in these close associations, attests to the diverse nature of the microbiota.’
- ‘What properties of spirochetes (or of the termite gut itself) enable them to become such a prominent component of the microbiota?’
- ‘Furthermore, it is likely that most herbivorous dinosaurs employed a mutualistic gut microbiota.’
- ‘Abnormal vaginal microbiota could even be secondary to defective protection of the mucosal immune system.’
- ‘Finally, SEM allowed visualizing the microbiota trapped in the bubbles.’
- ‘It seems likely that the mycorrhizal plants were able to compete effectively with the wider soil microbiota and tap directly into the high quality organic resource patch via their extra-radical mycelium.’
- ‘We begin to collect these billions of microbiota the moment we begin to pass down our mother's birth canal.’
- ‘Our dependence on our indigenous microbiota is further confirmed by the fact that many of the abnormalities one finds in germ-free animals are rapidly corrected if the animals are brought into contact with the right kind of bacteria.’
- ‘However, limitations imposed by these culture based studies have precluded a standardized description of the rumen microbiota.’
- ‘The normal microbiota in this anoxic environment are composed of bacteria, ciliate and flagellate protozoa, and anaerobic chytridiomycete fungi.’
- ‘Somewhere between 5 and 10 miles you may start to exceed temperatures for known earth microbiota.’
- ‘In the figure is a central channel, and in the lower part of the image microbiota are apparent owing to their mineralization.’
- ‘Therefore, we examined the effect of starvation over time on the intestinal microbiota of Atlantic salmon.’
- ‘They are members of the bacterioplankton and enteric microbiota of vertebrates and invertebrates, as well as saprophytes in marine environments in wounds and on the surfaces of dead animals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.