Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The quantitative analysis of chemical compounds using a sample of a few milligrams.
- ‘We studied the morphological and compositional differences of the fibrous amphibole samples with scanning electron microscopy and with energy dispersive spectroscopy x-ray microanalysis.’
- ‘The most common technique is called EDX spectrometry - energy dispersive X-ray microanalysis.’
- ‘It was shown by X-ray microanalysis that high [K +] and low [Na +] existed in the endodermal cells of alkali grass roots, suggesting this to be the tissue where Cs + inhibition occurs.’
- ‘For that reason the identical apoplastic regions chosen for the LAMMA investigations were also analysed by energy-dispersive X-ray microanalysis.’
- ‘The results of x-ray microanalysis allowed us to identify the fibers as the tremolite-actinolite fibrous amphibole found in the quarries and in the building material of Biancavilla.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.