Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument in which a beam of electrons or other radiation is focused on to a minute area of a sample and the resulting secondary radiation (usually X-ray fluorescence) is analysed to yield chemical information.
- ‘The result is that the ability of present-day electron and ion microscopes and microanalyzers to probe matter directly on the atomic scale is greatly limited.’
- ‘A newly installed computer-controlled microanalyzer is available for use by any researcher on the campus.’
- ‘The lamellae and intervening host proved too small for individual analysis on the microanalyser.’
- ‘This allowed uncoated specimens to be examined and elemental distributions to be determined using an energy dispersive X-ray microanalyser.’
- ‘His research interests are in the development of semiconductor process technology, in recent years he has focused on silicon micromachining with particular emphasis on the development of technology for fabrication of chemical microanalysers and microfluidic devices.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.