One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘He studied print-making under the mezzotinter and miniaturist, William Pether and, from 1780, at the Royal Academy Schools.’
- ‘His father, Phillip Dawe, was a well known mezzotinter who produced many prints after the paintings of Henry Robert Morland.’
- ‘He went on to become the finest mezzotinter of his time.’
- ‘Such prints, decoratively framed, are known, in a rather derogatory way, as furniture prints, and stipple engravers were openly despised by the elite line engravers - who also despised and envied the mezzotinters.’
- ‘Thomas Frye was one of the most successful mezzotinters of his era, as well as a portraitist in oil, pastel and miniature.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.