One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & adverbMusic
(especially as a direction) moderately soft.
- ‘In Figure 2, from Robert Schumann's Of Strange Lands and People, I suggest playing the soprano line mezzo piano, the bass piano and the triplets that lie between pianissimo.’
- ‘He rarely ventured above a mezzo piano dynamic, and high notes, when they were needed, were executed not from the chest but in a heart-melting falsetto.’
A moderately low volume.‘the chorus sings its final line in a velvety mezzo piano’
- ‘I suggest mezzo piano for most of Variation 27 followed by a subito forte right at the beginning of Variation 28.’
- ‘Nothing about Cathy could hide unnoticed, appear in muted pastels, or be restricted to the palette between pianissimo and mezzo piano.’
- ‘Kempff is most distinctive when he is most intimate; he was a master of the mezzo piano and all the dynamic gradations that surrounded it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.