One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adverb & adjectiveMusic
(especially as a direction) moderately soft.
- ‘In Figure 2, from Robert Schumann's Of Strange Lands and People, I suggest playing the soprano line mezzo piano, the bass piano and the triplets that lie between pianissimo.’
- ‘He rarely ventured above a mezzo piano dynamic, and high notes, when they were needed, were executed not from the chest but in a heart-melting falsetto.’
A moderately low volume.‘the chorus sings its final line in a velvety mezzo piano’
- ‘I suggest mezzo piano for most of Variation 27 followed by a subito forte right at the beginning of Variation 28.’
- ‘Kempff is most distinctive when he is most intimate; he was a master of the mezzo piano and all the dynamic gradations that surrounded it.’
- ‘Nothing about Cathy could hide unnoticed, appear in muted pastels, or be restricted to the palette between pianissimo and mezzo piano.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.