One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for half relief
- ‘‘All You Need is Wood’ ended with an unexpected mezzo-relievo.’
- ‘On the right-hand door, Ugolin and his sons; on the left, Paolo and Francesca da Rimini.… Above the groups, Rodin has placed bas-reliefs from which protrude figures in high relief and scenes in mezzo-relievo that give his work an extraordinary sense of perspective.’
- ‘The doors, surrounded by a delicate architrave, are divided into six equal panels each of which bears in mezzo-relievo (half relief) the obverse or reverse of some coin of ancient Greece.’
- ‘There is, too, a sarcophagus representing, in mezzo-relievo (half relief) the tragedy of Niobe's daughters.’
- ‘At the further end is the mezzo-relievo of Hercules and the Centaurs, a subject which was suggested by Politian, and executed by Michael Angelo with so much ability as to astonish all who beheld so near an approach to the antique.’
Late 16th century: Italian mezzo-rilievo.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.