One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for half relief
- ‘At the further end is the mezzo-relievo of Hercules and the Centaurs, a subject which was suggested by Politian, and executed by Michael Angelo with so much ability as to astonish all who beheld so near an approach to the antique.’
- ‘There is, too, a sarcophagus representing, in mezzo-relievo (half relief) the tragedy of Niobe's daughters.’
- ‘On the right-hand door, Ugolin and his sons; on the left, Paolo and Francesca da Rimini.… Above the groups, Rodin has placed bas-reliefs from which protrude figures in high relief and scenes in mezzo-relievo that give his work an extraordinary sense of perspective.’
- ‘‘All You Need is Wood’ ended with an unexpected mezzo-relievo.’
- ‘The doors, surrounded by a delicate architrave, are divided into six equal panels each of which bears in mezzo-relievo (half relief) the obverse or reverse of some coin of ancient Greece.’
Late 16th century: Italian mezzo-rilievo.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.