One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person or animal) full of spirit and courage; lively.‘their horses were beasts of burden, not mettlesome chargers’
spirited, game, gritty, intrepid, fearless, courageous, hardy, brave, plucky, gallant, valiant, valorous, bold, daring, audacious, heroicView synonyms
- ‘When you have a problem, people create a commission to look at it, because it may be mettlesome.’
- ‘There had been plenty of mettlesome, even feminine-looking women drivers before Hellé began making headlines.’
- ‘He was a vigorous and mettlesome man who loved a yarn.’
- ‘The chorus is youthful and mettlesome, impressively precise yet never mechanical.’
- ‘Their horses were beasts of burden, not mettlesome chargers, and during the British civil wars cost half as much as proper cavalry horses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.