One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person or animal) full of spirit and courage; lively.‘their horses were beasts of burden, not mettlesome chargers’
spirited, game, gritty, intrepid, fearless, courageous, hardy, brave, plucky, gallant, valiant, valorous, bold, daring, audacious, heroicView synonyms
- ‘The chorus is youthful and mettlesome, impressively precise yet never mechanical.’
- ‘When you have a problem, people create a commission to look at it, because it may be mettlesome.’
- ‘He was a vigorous and mettlesome man who loved a yarn.’
- ‘Their horses were beasts of burden, not mettlesome chargers, and during the British civil wars cost half as much as proper cavalry horses.’
- ‘There had been plenty of mettlesome, even feminine-looking women drivers before Hellé began making headlines.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.