Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] (in Theravada Buddhism) meditation focused on the development of unconditional love for all beings.
- ‘You don't have to make an effort to practice metta, loving-kindness.’
- ‘Love, or metta, is there because we feel goodwill in that moment toward the person who is receiving; we feel a sense of oneness with them, rather than alienation.’
- ‘Manjushri's wisdom is good, but until it's opened up emotionally with the great love - the great metta - that Vimalakirti evokes, there's something incomplete about it.’
- ‘The Buddha called this kind of love metta, which is not identical to what we call love.’
- ‘You say metta, loving-kindness practice for your boss repeatedly, day after day with no goal, except to release your own heart.’
- ‘That is what metta has given me, this reassurance that of course we go through incredible periods of stress and pain, but if we hold on to our love of ourselves through it, we can come out the other side.’
- ‘She was drawn back to Vipassana meditation, and a practice that Goenka introduced only at the end of Salzberg's first retreat: metta - loving-kindness’
- ‘The Buddhist counterpart of unconditional positive regard is loving-kindness (maitri in Sanskrit, metta in Pali).’
- ‘Fuengsin was fulsome in metta (loving kindness).’
- ‘At the retreat, I suggested the possibility of including in our metta even those involved in acts of violence and aggression.’
- ‘To learn about the radiating of metta to all beings with children, we have to tap into the store of knowledge accumulated by lay people and parents.’
- ‘That's why we have metta for other beings - loving kindness.’
From Pali mētta loving-kindness.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.