One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who writes in or analyses poetic metre.
verse writer, versifier, verse-maker, rhymester, rhymer, sonneteer, lyricist, lyrist, elegistView synonyms
- ‘Since his death an attempt has been made to minimise his importance and even to deny that he is a real poet and to describe him as a mere virtuoso and skilful metricist.’
- ‘Tennyson was an expert metricist, but in this poem he keeps things pretty simple, sticking with the standard meter of English, iambic pentameter.’
- ‘This poem reveals Wulfstan as perhaps the most accomplished Latin metricist which Anglo-Saxon England produced.’
- ‘This establishes the position of the songs within the German tradition and suggests fundamental structural principles to the metricist as well as the musicologist.’
- ‘He remarked that Paul was a 'wretched metricist'.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.