Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A unit of weight equal to 1,000 kilograms (2,205 lb).
- ‘The maize harvest, which begins in April, was expected to be 1.9 million metric tonnes but this had now been reassessed at 1.5 million metric tonnes.’
- ‘Over the past several years, illegal miners have produced 40,000 metric tons of tin ore per year, near equaling Timah's production.’
- ‘One hundred metric tons would fit in a back yard swimming pool; five hundred could be hidden in a small warehouse.’
- ‘The Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock has distributed more than 45 metric tonnes of improved seeds and 232 tons of fertiliser to farmers in the southern province of Urozgan.’
- ‘At roughly 250 kg each, the total weight of stone for the exterior construction equals 75 metric tons.’
- ‘By 2001, the total had grown to 189 metric tons, and it's expected to reach 200 metric tons by the end of 2002.’
- ‘It is now relatively old and small, with a capacity to produce either 240,000 metric tons of paper pulp or 60,000 tons of rayon fibre a year.’
- ‘For aircraft of up to a five metric ton maximum takeoff weight, the standard landing fee is £149.89.’
- ‘Shrimp landings in Sisimiut grew from under 1000 metric tons in 1975 to more than 8000 metric tons in 1988.’
- ‘One hundred and eighty-nine metric tons were seized in 2003.’
- ‘During 1996, Met-Mex Penoles produced 166,000 metric tons of lead and 123,000 metric tons of zinc.’
- ‘You put 7000 metric tonnes of polished faceted Granite two hundred miles up in geostationary orbit.’
- ‘He said Malawi needed an extra 144,000 metric tons of food on top of 300,000 tons expected to be imported from South Africa.’
- ‘In 1999 the West delivered less than half of the food promised for the year - 220,000 metric tonnes out of a total 463,000 metric tonnes pledged.’
- ‘Each boat, manned by two or three fisherman, typically brings back a metric ton of squid every night.’
- ‘Cafta sugar exports to the US will grow from 110,000 metric tons to 200,000 tons immediately.’
- ‘The system was anchored with a weight of about 60 metric tons, according to news reports.’
- ‘The US Department of Agriculture would donate 500 metric tonnes of corn oil and 1,500 metric tonnes of soybean oil, for use in Afghanistan, to Mercy Corps, a private voluntary organisation.’
- ‘By way of information, last year the Company imported into the Yemen 600,000 metric tonnes of wheat and 150,000 metric tonnes of sugar, making it the largest importer of those commodities into the Yemen.’
- ‘U.S. exports of the edible seeds to China grew from 300 metric tons in 1995 to 10,000 tons in 1999.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.