One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A distance of 1,500 metres, or a race over this distance.
- ‘Her concern was that, by running a heat, semi-final and final of an 800 metres championship, she would leave herself fatigued for the metric mile.’
- ‘In the opinion of Ellen van Langen, the 1992 Olympic 800 metres champion, she should stick to the metric mile.’
- ‘None exemplified the younger spirit more than Eliud Kipchoge who in a near blanket finish in the 5000m edged Hicham El Guerrouj, the monarch of the metric mile.’
- ‘Last summer, the former army sergeant was forced to again race over two laps rather than the metric mile at the World Championships due to a lack of training after picking up a calf injury.’
- ‘In the metric mile, Stockbauer missed by a fingernail becoming the second woman, behind Janet Evans, ever to crack the 16-minute barrier.’
- ‘She won the metric mile at Cork City Sports last weekend - in 4.06 and the American Trophy as the best performer at the meeting.’
- ‘The dilemma that Holmes faced concerned the effect that three 800 metres races might have on her prospects in the metric mile, which begins tomorrow.’
- ‘After bagging a silver in the 5000, behind another African, Mohammad Gammoudi of Tunisia, he set a scorching pace to clinch the gold in the metric mile leaving the fancied Jim Ryum behind.’
- ‘The Carlow teacher posted a personal best over the metric mile of 4.03.18, beating her 4.05 in the Northern Ireland Games in Belfast earlier in the season.’
- ‘There, the Olympic double was Hicham El Guerrouj's who made up for the Sydney disappointment by not only taking the metric mile but also the 5000m, just ahead of Bekele, though most comfortably.’
- ‘She ran her fastest-ever metric mile, 4.03.08, to better her 4.03.18 in her first overseas meet in Monaco earlier in the season.’
- ‘Also at Berlin, Chad Carvin set American records in the 400 and 1500 meter freestyle, breaking Jeff Kostoff's 1988 mark in the metric mile.’
- ‘Shortly after swimming the metric mile, Hackett teamed with Ian Thorpe, Michael Klim and Bill Kirby to punch up a 6: 56.41 in the 4 x 200 meter free relay, slicing almost five seconds from the WR set by the USA last year.’
- ‘The Moroccan four-time world champion at the metric mile fell in the 1996 Olympic final in Atlanta and was outrun by Noah Ngeny of Kenya in one of the shocks of the Sydney Games.’
- ‘Masters swimmer Bobby Patten became the oldest person ever to break 16 minutes for the 1500 meter freestyle when he set a Masters record for men 35-39 for the metric mile on Nov.21 in Dallas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.