One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic drug that stimulates the sympathetic and central nervous systems, used chiefly to improve mental activity in attention deficit disorder.Also called Ritalin (a trademark)
- ‘We have seen it with antidepressants in adults and methylphenidate in behaviourally disordered children.’
- ‘The primary legitimate medicinal use of methylphenidate is for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children.’
- ‘More severe problems may require treatment, including educational changes, behavioural programmes, family therapy, individual counselling, and the use of stimulant medications such as methylphenidate and dexamphetamine.’
- ‘Ritalin is the brand name for methylphenidate, a central nervous system stimulant that is often prescribed for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).’
- ‘Traditional treatments, such as the stimulant drugs methylphenidate and amphetamine, outperformed caffeine in improving functioning and reducing levels of hyperactivity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.