One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
verb[with object]often as adjective methylated
1Mix or impregnate with methanol or methylated spirit.‘a portable stove which burned methylated briquettes’
- 1.1Chemistry Introduce a methyl group into (a molecule or compound)‘the cytosine moiety in the chromosomal DNA is usually methylated’
- ‘When this hydroxyl group is then methylated to give there is a very significant, 3000-fold, decrease in inhibitor binding.’
- ‘An enzyme that methylates the carboxyl side chain of IAA has recently been described.’
- ‘In many organisms, nuclear DNA is methylated at cytosine residues, resulting in 5-methylcytosine.’
- ‘Some molecules are heavily methylated while others are not, consistent with our previous observations.’
- ‘The ability of these compounds to methylate DNA, however, correlated with the biological activity.’
- 1.1Chemistry Introduce a methyl group into (a molecule or compound)
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.