Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A synthetic compound that interferes with cell growth and is used to treat leukaemia and other forms of cancer.
- ‘Another combination is methotrexate plus cyclo-sporine and methotrexate.’
- ‘Treatment may include systemic steroids, intralesional steroid injection, antimalarials, or methotrexate.’
- ‘The patient was treated with methotrexate and leukovorin calcium, and tumor lysis syndrome with acute renal failure occurred.’
- ‘Cancer drugs used for primary bone cancer include methotrexate, doxorubicin, and cisplatin.’
- ‘Antimalarial drugs or immune response modifiers like methotrexate can reduce steroid dose and side effects.’
1950s: from meth- (denoting a substance containing methyl groups) + elements of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.