Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system of methods used in a particular area of study or activity.‘a methodology for investigating the concept of focal points’[mass noun] ‘courses in research methodology and practice’
course of action, line of action, plan of action, policy, series of steps, plan, method, system, strategy, stratagem, way, approach, formula, mechanism, methodology, technique, means, measure, process, proceeding, operation, agendaView synonyms
- ‘We judged the reliability and validity of data by the methodologies used in each study and judged their generalisability from the study context.’
- ‘Is it because you are fond of them or is it because they are convenient as a form of technique in your methodology?’
- ‘The methodology for policy analysis is basically the same as that for policy-making.’
- ‘The sociology of music is diverse in its approaches, its methodologies, and its areas of focus.’
- ‘In this review, he poked holes in the methodologies of those studies, but many of the criticisms were invalid.’
- ‘The unique features of these chapters is its simple methodology and practical examples.’
- ‘The studies we reviewed employed various methodologies in order to collect participant data.’
- ‘Does anyone have any suggestions for reading material to flesh out a research methodology?’
- ‘Studies using different methodologies and outcome measures have given contrasting results.’
- ‘There were important theoretical reviews, but the emphasis was in practical methodologies.’
- ‘I am fielding a survey as part of a study written for a class in research methodologies.’
- ‘He would not reveal the research methodology of the new system, which would be unveiled in a few weeks.’
- ‘His punctiliousness knew no bounds when it came to the methodology of his research.’
- ‘So, if you accept the wonky methodology and questionable assumptions of the research, do we have a problem?’
- ‘Another limitation encountered in our study is directly related to methodologies.’
- ‘I believe the best way to understand open source is as a methodology.’
- ‘The estimation methodology using this formula is explained in detail in the Appendix.’
- ‘Wide variations in the prevalence rates are due largely to the differences in methodologies used in these studies.’
- ‘The methodology of the study was such that a link between the vaccine and autism could not be proved.’
- ‘An important distinction between this work and the earlier studies relates to the methodology.’
Early 19th century: from modern Latin methodologia or French méthodologie.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.