One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural methosmass nounAustralian, NZ
- ‘The man was using the metho when it caught alight and exploded.’
- ‘Anyway, I reached for the bottle but I slipped on the chair, next thing the grotty bottle of metho goes flying in the air and I go flying and I end up with a mouthful of metho!’
- ‘Anyway, the doc sorted me out, although, being a typical Australian Male, I believe I could have done the same thing at home with a swiss army knife, a candle, a bottle of metho and a mirror.’
- ‘We got em off with a mixture of metho and elbow grease.’
- ‘Marcia, swigging some metho, thanked Dan for the performance.’
- 1.1count noun A person addicted to drinking methylated spirit.
drinker, heavy drinker, problem drinker, drunk, drunkard, alcoholic, dipsomaniac, alcohol-abuser, alcohol addict, person with a drink problemView synonyms
- ‘I wonder will that increase stealing and drinking by the local methos under the pier?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.