One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A semi-synthetic form of penicillin used against staphylococci which produce penicillinase.
- ‘Tea extract showed synergistic activity with Chloramphenicol and other antibiotics like gentamycin, methicillin and nalidixic acid against test strains.’
- ‘A high proportion of these bacteria demonstrate resistance to multiple antibiotic medications, especially to methicillin and oxacillin.’
- ‘Consider a penicillinase-resistant penicillin (such as methicillin or nafcillin) or vancomycin plus an aminoglycoside or aztreonam.’
- ‘Some antibiotics, such as gentamicin, penicillin G, tetracycline, methicillin, erythromycin, and vancomycin, are not compatible with heparin.’
- ‘This strain was resistant to methicillin, cephalothin, gentamicin, erythromycin, chloramphenicol and tetracycline.’
1960s: from meth(yl) and ( pen)icillin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.