Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- systematic chemical name for formaldehyde
- ‘As has already been stated oxidation yields the aldhyde methanal, but further oxidation of this will yield the carboxylic acid methanoic acid.’
- ‘A particularly important reaction is with the aldehyde methanal.’
- ‘For example, menthanol boils at 150.8°F and methanal boils at - 5.8°F.’
- ‘It is manufactured by heating methanal with ammonium chloride.’
- ‘Synthesis gas is used to manufacture methanal (formaldehyde, CH 2 = O), and also methanol.’
Late 19th century: blend of methane and aldehyde.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.