Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The drug methamphetamine.‘he started taking meth to keep up with younger people in sports and at work’
- ‘Enough chemicals to produce up to a tonne of the drug ice - or crystal meth - were seized in Fiji this morning.’
- ‘It's no secret that crystal meth is rampant at circuit parties all around the country.’
- ‘But those baby blues - or browns or greens - will also prove the telltale sign of someone using methamphetamine, commonly known as crystal meth, crank, speed, ice or glass.’
- ‘And when a drug like crystal meth is sprinkled on the wound, it really does seem like a miracle cure because it erases any concept of morality.’
- ‘It will explore the theme of speed in young lives, from street racing to the use of the amphetamine-based drug crystal meth.’
- ‘Should pregnant women who use crystal meth or any form of methamphetamine get locked up in institutions until their babies are born?’
- ‘It's a decongestant that can't be used to make meth.’
- ‘The latest addition to the recreational drug cabinet is Viagra, often used to correct the impotency side effects of other drugs, including ecstasy, ketamine, and crystal meth.’
- ‘The main drugs represented in this area are heroine, crack and crystal meth, and Francy explained that many of the area's inhabitants live very nocturnal lives and that the mornings can be fairly quiet.’
- ‘‘Cheap, easy to make and instantly addictive, crystal meth is burning a hole through rural America,’ avers the story's subtitle.’
- ‘My brother had a drug problem, he was addicted to crystal meth and he didn't really know what he was doing at times.’
- ‘She says he asked for marijuana, but she did not have any, and she dug into her illegal stash of crystal meth instead.’
- ‘It was, however, a fairly impressive batch of crystal meth.’
- ‘Pills and meth and the hard stuff has swept through here just over the last couple of years.’
- ‘Don't people who take drugs know about the effects of crystal meth, how addictive it is, about the psychotic effects as well?’
- ‘Tim gets hooked on crystal meth and circuit parties.’
- ‘We could not wean him off of the meth, and he didn't clear the hep C. Finally, he was evaluated for a liver and put on the transplant list.’
- ‘It was one of the first states to restrict the sale of allergy and cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine - that's the main ingredient in meth - keeping them behind the counter.’
- ‘And they're also mixing in drugs, like ecstasy and GHB and, perhaps most dangerously, crystal meth and poppers.’
- ‘Several states have cut meth production by restricting sales of cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine, the main ingredient in meth.’
2short for methadone
3USanother term for meths
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.