Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A piece of rock or metal that has fallen to the earth's surface from outer space as a meteor. Over 90 per cent of meteorites are of rock while the remainder consist wholly or partly of iron and nickel.
- ‘The Martian meteorite crashes through the Earth's atmosphere - a blazing fireball.’
- ‘A good case has already been made for bacteria microfossils in a Martian meteorite.’
- ‘It is brought to us by such solar system visitors as meteorites, which burn up or fragment and drift as fine particles through the atmosphere.’
- ‘Other sources of high iridium concentrations are extraterrestrial objects, such as meteorites or comets.’
- ‘That is how fragments of the asteroid belt can end up crashing into Earth as meteorites.’
- ‘It is possible that something may have been at the end of this, a piece of rock, a meteorite.’
- ‘The age of the carbonates can be clearly determined, and some very old ones had been found on certain asteroids and meteorites.’
- ‘It has been identified in carbonaceous achondrite and iron meteorites.’
- ‘One possible source of such untainted data are Earth's lunar meteorites.’
- ‘When meteorites hit nearby worlds, they kick up bits of rock, some of which might have enough speed to escape from their planet entirely.’
- ‘A safe containing moon rocks and meteorites was stolen from the Johnson Space Center in Houston on July 15.’
- ‘On display are minerals, fossils, meteorites, and some rocks, most of which are of reference quality.’
- ‘Other Moon rocks brought back by the Apollo astronauts have helped in understanding the lunar meteorites found on Earth.’
- ‘They are very similar in composition to the carbonaceous chondrite meteorites that sometimes fall on Earth.’
- ‘Small impactors deliver meteorites, while large ones infrequently wreak global devastation.’
- ‘As the newly launched Sputnik satellite orbits earth, a strange meteorite approaches the planet.’
- ‘About 1.8 billion years ago, a meteorite or comet the size of Mount Everest slammed into what is now Canada.’
- ‘Grouped with iron meteorites, these are pieces from the cores of fledgling planets destroyed by collisions when the Solar System formed.’
- ‘Meteorites contain platinum and meteorites have been landing on earth for billions of years already.’
- ‘The most recent major extinction occurred 65 million years ago when a meteorite crashed into Earth, leading to the demise of the dinosaurs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.