One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A major division of the animal kingdom that comprises all animals other than protozoans and sponges. They are multicellular animals with differentiated tissues.
- ‘Belt desmosomes are the constituent character of the Epitheliazoa, the next higher taxon above the Porifera within the Metazoa, comprising the taxa Placozoa and Eumetazoa.’
- ‘Now, based on the study with protein molecules, Fungi are regarded as the nearest-neighbor kingdom of the Metazoa, a conclusion which is supported by others.’
- ‘Not only Metazoa, but other multicellular clades such as Fungii and Metaphyta, must also be organized so that their basic body parts-differentiated cell types-are assembled into a hierarchy of functional associations.’
- ‘However, their importance in elucidating the phylogeny of the Metazoa, particularly the arthropods, has recently increased interest in this group.’
- ‘After analyzing protein sequences from sponges, especially those which comprise receptors, it was established that all Metazoa, including Porifera, are of monophyletic origin.’
- 1.1metazoa Animals of the Metazoa division.
- ‘Cnidarians may be informative about body plan evolution in the metazoa both because of what they share with bilaterians and what they lack.’
- ‘These results suggest that insulin-like genes have coevolved with the appearance of the metazoa (multicellular animals with differentiated tissues).’
- ‘Thanks to the extensive use of recombinant DNA cloning techniques within the past decade, it is now established that the insulin gene superfamily is represented in all metazoa.’
- ‘Multicellular animals, or Metazoa, appear in the fossil records between 575 and 509 million years ago.’
- ‘Consider the possibility that the destruction of the Drosophila model will prove generally true, if not for all organisms perhaps, then at least for metazoa.’
Modern Latin (plural), from meta- (expressing change) + Greek zōia (plural of zōion ‘animal’).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.