Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The study of mental processes and the mind–body relationship, beyond what can be studied experimentally.
- ‘One could venture to explain in this way the myths of paradise and the fall of man, of God, of good and evil, of immortality, and so on, to transform metaphysics into metapsychology.’
- ‘Freud's metapsychology can be seen as a special offshoot or sub-division of metaphysics.’
- ‘Then we see the conflation of the two different realms of human experience, political geography and metapsychology; and the displacement of the one set of structures for the other.’
- ‘Many of the assumptions adopted by film theorists from Freudian metapsychology or Lacan seem inadequate in accounting for cinematic pleasure.’
- ‘Some Continental feminists map either the metapsychology of Freud or Lacan onto the culture itself, studying social systems as the competing forces of normalization and dissidence.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.