One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of metaphysics.
- ‘From this elementary iconography may be derived the whole metaphysic of sexual differences - man aspires; woman has no other function but to exist, waiting.’
- ‘Kierkegaard wished to demonstrate that the Hegelian metaphysic, considered on its own and judged in terms of its declared ambition to afford a comprehensive account of reality, was in point of fact flawed, and irreparably so.’
- ‘This metaphysic of creation redolent of Eric Mascall's ‘openness of being’ imparts or responds to a literal truth in his phrases ‘the grammar of existence, the syntax of the real’.’
- ‘A metaphysic of reason, a new set of universals, blocked the path.’
- ‘The main way out of this is found in the work of dramatists like Eugene Ionesco and Samuel Beckett, who can enact the metaphysic of drama without providing a theory for its interpretation.’
- ‘Both men began to seek their separate truths in religious experience, in search of a metaphysic with millennia behind it.’
- ‘Plotinus and Porphyry had worked with such a scheme, with their metaphysic of the One, Mind, and the World-Soul.’
- ‘The bread of banishment, the consciousness of human pain, extension, time, numbers are the steps by which this poetry endeavors to ascend to a transcendental metaphysic.’
- ‘Life itself is the adversary; the vagaries of history and politics are subsumed by the brute metaphysic of the real.’
- ‘Thus, a new metaphysic of nature as an external factor is created.’
- ‘There are natural alliances between Entity Realism and metaphysical atomism, and between Structural Realism and the Great-Field metaphysic.’
- ‘In other words, what do you guys think about a metaphysic that, rather than imposing or asserting my will, seeks to attune it to a larger pattern?’
- ‘Nonetheless, he still wanted to support it with an idealist metaphysic and a positivist ethic.’
- ‘Einstein heralds the end of the era of Newtonian physics, whose concomitant working metaphysic was materialism.’
- ‘There is a possible metaphysic that suggests that a thing's representations are not secondary and inferior to it but are constitutive of that thing.’
- ‘Newton's mechanical physics invited the Enlightenment metaphysic of the remote Watchmaker God who just wound up the universe and let it go.’
- ‘A pre-packaged metaphysic - you don't need to know how it works just as long as it does.’
- ‘I don't think we want to try to impose on this realm a single metaphysic which presumes to have an answer for all things in all times and for all people.’
- ‘Such a metaphysic does not affirm the existence and importance of the world and human life in the way that the creation stories and the incarnation do.’
- ‘Similarly, her philosophical colleagues love the neuroscience but think she could do something more ambitious with the philosophical development of her foundational metaphysic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.