One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of metaphysics.
- ‘A metaphysic of reason, a new set of universals, blocked the path.’
- ‘There is a possible metaphysic that suggests that a thing's representations are not secondary and inferior to it but are constitutive of that thing.’
- ‘The bread of banishment, the consciousness of human pain, extension, time, numbers are the steps by which this poetry endeavors to ascend to a transcendental metaphysic.’
- ‘In other words, what do you guys think about a metaphysic that, rather than imposing or asserting my will, seeks to attune it to a larger pattern?’
- ‘Similarly, her philosophical colleagues love the neuroscience but think she could do something more ambitious with the philosophical development of her foundational metaphysic.’
- ‘The main way out of this is found in the work of dramatists like Eugene Ionesco and Samuel Beckett, who can enact the metaphysic of drama without providing a theory for its interpretation.’
- ‘There are natural alliances between Entity Realism and metaphysical atomism, and between Structural Realism and the Great-Field metaphysic.’
- ‘A pre-packaged metaphysic - you don't need to know how it works just as long as it does.’
- ‘Newton's mechanical physics invited the Enlightenment metaphysic of the remote Watchmaker God who just wound up the universe and let it go.’
- ‘Life itself is the adversary; the vagaries of history and politics are subsumed by the brute metaphysic of the real.’
- ‘Such a metaphysic does not affirm the existence and importance of the world and human life in the way that the creation stories and the incarnation do.’
- ‘Nonetheless, he still wanted to support it with an idealist metaphysic and a positivist ethic.’
- ‘Einstein heralds the end of the era of Newtonian physics, whose concomitant working metaphysic was materialism.’
- ‘Both men began to seek their separate truths in religious experience, in search of a metaphysic with millennia behind it.’
- ‘This metaphysic of creation redolent of Eric Mascall's ‘openness of being’ imparts or responds to a literal truth in his phrases ‘the grammar of existence, the syntax of the real’.’
- ‘Thus, a new metaphysic of nature as an external factor is created.’
- ‘Kierkegaard wished to demonstrate that the Hegelian metaphysic, considered on its own and judged in terms of its declared ambition to afford a comprehensive account of reality, was in point of fact flawed, and irreparably so.’
- ‘From this elementary iconography may be derived the whole metaphysic of sexual differences - man aspires; woman has no other function but to exist, waiting.’
- ‘Plotinus and Porphyry had worked with such a scheme, with their metaphysic of the One, Mind, and the World-Soul.’
- ‘I don't think we want to try to impose on this realm a single metaphysic which presumes to have an answer for all things in all times and for all people.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.