Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A glassy deliquescent solid obtained by heating orthophosphoric acid.
- ‘In this case, to avoid oxidation of ASC contained in samples, AF were collected in centrifuge tubes containing a concentrated solution of metaphosphoric acid.’
- ‘Apoplastic-washed fluid was collected into Eppendorf tubes containing 6% metaphosphoric acid.’
- ‘Embryos or endosperms were homogenized in 5% metaphosphoric acid.’
- ‘Upon collection, a 5-mL aliquot of rumen fluid was acidified with 1 mL of 25% metaphosphoric acid and allowed to stand for 30 min.’
- ‘Each frozen sample was homogenized with a mortar and pestle in 5 ml of 2% metaphosphoric acid.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.